Making A Complaint

To The Ombudsman

If you need to make a complaint about conditions in a nursing home, residential care facility or assisted living facility on behalf of your self or a family member, you can do so in any of the following three ways:

  • Send the WISE & Healthy Aging Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program an e-mail at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Call the WISE & Healthy Aging Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program on our hotline: 1(800) 334-WISE (9473). The hours of the hotline are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
  • Call the State of California CrisisLine at 1(800) 231-4024. This hotline is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Reserved for emergencies that arise after-hours and holidays.

All long-term care facilities are required to post, in a conspicuous location, the phone number for the local Ombudsman office and the State CRISISline number.

Residents or their family members can file a complaint directly to their local Long-Term Care Ombudsman.


To The Regulating Agencies


CDSS- Visit this link to find the apropritate office to contact. They deal with Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly, Adult Residential Facilities, Adult Day Programs, and Social Rehabilitation Facilities.


DPH- Department of Public Health-Regulates skilled nursing facilities, ICF-DD, adult day health care, and acute hospitals

      DPH main office (562) 345-6884