The resident has rights related to admission agreement contracts that are signed when the resident enters the nursing home:
- The contract may not require that the resident pay with private funds (those that are not Medicare or Medi-Cal) for a specified time prior to accessing Medi-Cal benefits.
- The contract may not require the resident at the time of admission to give notice that he or she intends to convert to Medi-Cal status.
- The contract may not require the resident to promise not to apply for Medicare or Medi-Cal benefits.
- The contract may not require third party guarantee of payment as a condition of admission or expedited admission. A family member should not be required to spend their own funds as a condition of their loved one staying at the nursing home.
- A resident has the right to have his or her security deposit returned when he or she converts to Medi-Cal.